[ESS] Emacs finding "R" on Windows {was "Release of ESS 5.3.5"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 24 17:59:07 CEST 2007

    SE> Yes, I agree -- if users do not have to touch PATH on windows, this is
    SE> one less thing for the new user to do.

    >>> http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html
    >>>
    >>> I don't know how widely used this is among the ESS or Emacs on Windows
    >>> community in general.
    SE> Certainly new to me, but I'm no windows user...

    PL> I think that it's a lovely package. Getting printing with GS, and ispell and
    PL> all of that stuff used to be a pain.

    PL> The only package I am using `w32-regiface' is very small and has no
    PL> dependencies on the rest of Emacs W32 so could just be included with ESS. I've
    PL> attached it. In the original code I sent, I had incorrectly require'd
    PL> w32-regdat (which require regiface).

Thank you, Phillip!
But I think it still does require

  (defvar w32-reg-iface-prog-name "w32-reg-iface.exe"
    "Name of the registry interface program.")

which we can not easily include with ESS
(maybe we could, if we'd also distribute it's source (C ?) code
 along ?).

I'm thinking we should wait till Emacs comes equipped natively
with some (E-lisp) API to the registry ..
Otherwise, we may get into another maintenance nightmare.