[ESS] better ess-site.el {was " Release of ESS 5.3.5"}

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Aug 22 17:20:50 CEST 2007

> I understand;  but no; we have no real "autoload only" setup:
>
> (require 'ess-site) or similar no
> has now too many (require ...) things.
>
> I don't know if its just a matter of a few hours of diligent
> collecting (autoload .) lines from the various *.el files and
> put these into a new ess-autoload.el
>
> But then, if it was so easy, we'd probably have done it in the
> past?
> Does any other ESS-core member know?
>
> Martin
>
>     PL> Thanks for the software!
>
> you're welcome.
> Martin

Hi Martin:

The XEmacs package attempted to do this.  However, there also were
alot of hacks in there that made "warnings"/"errors" go away.
Unfortunately, in one case that still burns me up, the hack actually
made the feature go away and it was an arduous process to figure out
what the hell was going on.  So, I don't think we should try to be
too cute.  Of course, Tony had alot to do with the XEmacs package
so maybe he would like to comment on the autoloading mechanism.
But, I believe that they are slightly different between emacs and
xemacs.  Another reason to not do it.

Rodney