[ESS] Thanks! {was "Activating electric "(" behavior {was "Release of ESS 5.3.5"}"}

Kiermeier, Andreas (PIRSA - SARDI) Kiermeier.Andreas at saugov.sa.gov.au
Thu Aug 16 02:30:51 CEST 2007

Martin Maechler wrote on Thursday, 16 August 2007 01:16:

[previous conversation snipped]
> In R-mode (i.e. typically in an *.R file buffer),
> you need to have the
>     ess-local-process-name
> variable to be non-nil, which is __ as I unfortunately only
> found now __ not the case after starting R and opening the
> buffer.
> Rather, it becomes the buffer becomes connected to an R process
> (and hence  ess-local-process-name  non nil) as soon as you have
> started to send code to the running R process, or also
> if you have started the R process from your R-mode buffer, e.g.,
> via the Menu
>      [ESS] -> [Start ESS process] -> [R]
> or   [ESS] -> [Switch ESS process]
> or simply via
>   'C-c C-s'
>
>     Leo> And can I use it in  inferior-ess-mode?
>
> No. I had thought about that too, and found we should rather
> encourage people to follow the paradigm that we've tried to
> emphasize all the years:
>
>>>   The source is real.  Everything else is ephemeral
>>>
>>>   --> Do work with *.R files
>>>       Do not work with the *R* buffer
>

> or may that have been a bit snobbish an attitude ?

Hi Martin and the rest of the ESS developers (including Sven
Hartenstein),

I previously tried Sven's code, but wasn't convinced that is was 'really
for me'.

However, I've just tried it again, thanks to the new release, and must
admit that my thoughts have changed - it absolutely rocks! The idea and
implementation are great! Very cool how a function submitted to the
process is immediately recognized and the argument information is
available.

On the "the source is real" issues I have to admit that until a few
months ago I used to save my workspaces. Then I took the plunge to not
saving the workspace and keeping only the *.R files. I like it!

Anyway, my sincerest thanks to all of you for a great piece of work!

Cheers,

Andreas
_____________________________
Dr Andreas Kiermeier
Senior Statistician
Food Innovation & Safety
South Australian Research & Development Institute
33 Flemington Street, Glenside, SA, 5065

Ph:	+61 8 8207 7884
Fax:	+61 8 8207 7854
Mob:	0423 028 565

Email: Kiermeier.Andreas at saugov.sa.gov.au
Web:   http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/
My Web: http://andreas.kiermeier.googlepages.com/
_____________________________
If you would like to correspond with me in a secure way, using public
key encryption, please contact me directly for details of my GPG public
key or visit the SARDI website, where you can download my public key
from my personal staff page.

The information contained within this email is confidential and may be
the subject of legal privilege. This email is intended solely for the
addressee, and if you are not the intended recipient you must not
disclose, copy, use or distribute this email or any of its attachments.
If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender
immediately via email reply, delete the message and any attachments from
your system, and destroy any copies made. PIRSA makes no representation
that this mail or any attached files are free from viruses or other
defects. It is the recipient's responsibility to check the email and any
attached files for viruses or other defects.