[ESS] starting dir

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 2 08:40:53 CEST 2007

       [MM: this was accidentally (typo by me) not forwarded to the list]

    VG> Le 07-08-01 à 11:20, Stephen Bond a écrit :
    >> Vincent,
    >>
    >> if I change that variable to nil then it just dumps me
    >> into the default dir. what I wanted is to specify a
    >> default work dir which is not the emacs dir.

    VG> Well, if the variable is 't', you should be prompted for
    VG> a working directory (presuming you work with some flavor
    VG> of S). The default that will prposed to you is what
    VG> Emacs consider to be its current working directory, much
    VG> like when you find a file.

    VG> For example, if you have a file ~/work/toto.R opened and
    VG> you do 'M-x R RET', Emacs/ESS should prompt you for a
    VG> working directory for the R session, proposing as
    VG> default ~/work/.

    VG> Is this what you want?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure he is looking  for ess-directory

Stephen, type
	 C-h v ess-directory [Enter]

and you should see something like
ess-directory is a variable defined in `ess-cust.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
*The directory ESS is run from.  It must end in a slash.
Provided as a default if `ess-ask-for-ess-directory' is non-nil.
A nil value means use the current buffer's default directory.
Buffer-local: in process buffers, this contains the directory ESS was
run from.

You can customize this variable.

Note that you can click the word 'customize' in the last
paragraph and then use the 'custom' GUI to change it to your
desired default directory (ending in slash: "/" !)

Using 'custom(ize)' rather than direct setting of the variable
has the advantage that the emacs 'custom'(ize) module will know
about it.

Regards,
Martin Maechler