[ESS] Lost tilde in Ubuntu upgrade (scim conflict?)

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Thu Apr 26 09:17:01 CEST 2007

Dear ESS list,

This probably is an emacs/scim/linux issue, but since it mainly concerns me in
R+ESS, I ask here (with a risk of being told to get out). Although not probably
an ESS issue, I know that the illuminati are here, and some of them may have run
into same system.

I upgraded to Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and immediately lost tilde in emacs (and you
cannot do R without tilde). I mean, the tilde is not difficult to use, but it is
lost completely. What I know now is that if I remove support to Japanese and
Russian languages, then I get tilde back. This means removing scim
(multilanguage input system). Googling gives me thousands of hits, most of them
off the mark, but some hint to the same scim-emacs conflict. However, I'd like
to retain the support  to input in some of these languages. Does anybody know
how to solve this situation? Of course, R+ESS will beat Russian and Japanese
anyday, and the languages can go if required by statistics.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen