[ESS] R hangs with ESS-emacs and options(error=recover)

Dan Davison davison at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 08:30:35 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:17:02PM -0700, Seth Falcon wrote:
> "Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu> writes:
>
> > Yes, ESS is looking for a "> " prompt.  recover() is issuing
> > a "Selection: " which is not the signal that ESS is looking for.
>
> Hmm, options(error=recover) seems to be working fine for me inside
> ESS.
>
> recover() calls the menu() function which requests user input
> before dropping into a browser.  Although menu appears to be internal
> it should be similar to readline.  I suspect something else is going
> on -- do these functions work for others or am I just lucky ;-)

Normal use of options(error=recover) has always been OK for me in general, but I do see this behaviour in the following situation: ess-load-file (C-c C-l) hangs if it encounters a parsing problem and options(error=recover) is set.

e.g. contents of file tmp.R:

f <- function() {
    if(
    6
}

> options(error=recover)

## C-c C-l in tmp.R buffer now results in a hang, requiring C-g before one can get to the R buffer where hitting <return> gets you the "Selection: " prompt [not that that's what you want; you never get the "Errors: Use C-c ` to find error" message, which of course you do get without options(error=recover) ]

Dan

> R.version
               _
platform       i686-redhat-linux-gnu
arch           i686
os             linux-gnu
system         i686, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)