[ESS] gretl support? launch R session at same time as Emacs starts?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 09:07:32 CEST 2007

 > > gretldata <- read.table("/home/pauljohn/gretl/Rdata.tmp",
 >     header = TRUE)
 >
 > > attach(gretldata)
 >
 > The instructions say that the default command "xterm -e R" can be
 > replaced by any other 3 symbols.  I don't know how gretl sends the
 > commands into the open R session-- is it one of those "pipeline"
 > things?
 >
 > What are the chances we can make the same thing work with emacs-ess?

The easy part is to use "emacs -f R" to start a emacs session with R
running (although nicer would be to use emacsclient/gnuclient to just
start a new *R* session within  Emacs if already running).

The harder part is seeing how gretl communicates with R -- does it
cheat and edit .Rprofile temporarily to include the cmds to load and
attach gretldata?

Stephen