[ESS] elisp code: show function arguments

Kiermeier, Andreas (PIRSA - SARDI) Kiermeier.Andreas at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue Apr 3 07:32:22 CEST 2007

Mark,

I've just tried this myself, and it works fine for me (GNU Emacs,
Windows XP).

You may want to add the lines

;; bind my-r-show-args to F2
(define-key ess-mode-map [f2] 'my-r-show-args)

But that's only additional and shouldn't stop Sven's code from working.

When you say "I can't seem to get Sven's functionality to work" do you
get any error messages?

I noticed that (not surprisingly) an R process has to be associated with
the "filename.R" buffer in which you are typing your commands. To do
this for example, create a file called "whatever.R' and load it into
Emacs. Start an R process (M-x R), then type a command such as

rnorm()

into the "whatever.R" buffer (not the R process). Here you should get an
error after typing '(' since no process is yet associated with the
buffer, and Sven's function doesn't know where to look for the argument
info. Now submit the command you just typed to R, e.g. with the cursor
on the same line as the command press C-c C-j, which will prompt you for
the process - press the Enter key to confirm. (Someone else may be able
to confirm a different & better way of associating an R process with a
buffer)

Now, when you go back to your whatever.R buffer you should be able to
type (on a new line)

rnorm(

At which point the mini buffer should show the arguments.

If you've got the [f2] key defined as above, you can also press F2 after
any function (such as rnorm(  ), but it must have an open '(' but no
close ')'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andreas