[ESS] ESS[S] freezes until job completion?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Sep 25 23:03:42 CEST 2006

Thomas Widland wrote:
> I have a similar problem with GNU Emacs locking up. I often run S+ in
> interactive mode through ESS. Any time I run a command, Emacs locks up
> completely until the commands completes. The ^G trick gets me Emacs back
> and the command still completes. However, I frequently need to paste
> several S+ commands at once into ESS. If I use the ^G trick, I get my
> Emacs back but only the current S+ command completes, rather than the
> whole sequence of commands.
>
> These are commands that take 5-20 min. in total, for which I'd prefer to
> go through ESS rather than using batch mode or something else. Wrapping
> them up in a function or putting them all on the same line with
> semicolons works, but both are very cumbersome. Any suggestions?

That's very weird.  I can confirm this behavior on xemacs with the
5.3.2.  Also, another thing related to the original post, if I do \C-c
\C-l like David suggested, the commands are never echoed to the *R*
buffer, nor the output!  You just stare at it until a new > appears and
all of the good stuff went to the big bit-bucket up in the sky.  Who
wants that?  I must be missing something very fundamental here.

Rodney