[ESS] How does one use "!!", etc. to get command history

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 17:19:18 CEST 2006

 > The documentation on the command history completion for ess indicates that
 > you can use <meta> commands to go through the command history to find
 > matches to some command, e.g.:
 >
 > M-r (comint-previous-matching-input)
 >
 > It also discusses using a csh-like approach, eg. '!!' will go to prev
 > command.
 >
 > However I can't figure out how to escape the interactive R window to enter
 > these commands.

hi Marcus,

in an *R* window, try the following:

> 2 * 9

(should print "[1] 18")

now at the > prompt type "!!" followed by space and then TAB; you
should then see "2 * 9 " with cursor after space.

This is in the manual:

   For example, to execute the last command that referenced the variable
`data', type `!?data SPC TAB RET'.

Stephen