[ESS] ESS S-Plus GUI installation

Thomas Almer thomas.almer at arcor.de
Wed Oct 4 06:22:47 CEST 2006

Dear ESS-users,

I try to use R 2.3.0 and S-Plus 6.2 simultaneously with XEmacs 21.4.19 and
the ESS 5.3.3 package under MS Windows XP. The XEmacs and ESS part of the
installation for R and SQPE was pretty easy sticking to the instructions at:
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/general/ESS/doc/html/ess.html#Installation

It would be great if someone can help me with the following problems:

1) The S-Plus GUI cannot be connected with M-x S+6-msdos; The error message
"Process S+6 is not running" is displayed in the Minibuffer and
"options(chmhelp=FALSE)
A subdirectory or file .exe already exists.
Process S+6 exited abnormally with code 1 at Tue Oct 03 ..." is displayed in
the *S+6* Buffer.

2) Sqpe can be activated with M-x Sqpe, but the help pages are not properly
displayed in the html mode, but as .txt files without explanation. Whereas
running Sqpe in the command window (outside XEmacs) and requesting help
(e.g. ?rnorm) works fine and gives me the well-known html helpfiles.

3) When I start XEmacs I don't get the R, S-Plus and the other ESS buttons.
Only when a window gets "dedicated" the command C-x b 4 opens a new window
with those buttons. Is this the way ESS should work?

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards,
Thomas

--