[ESS] Code indentation inside an Sweave chunk

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 12:45:54 CET 2006

On 11/28/06, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
>    StEgl> BUT THIS IS A HACK!!!  Someone who knows the noweb code better than me
>    StEgl> can probably advise what's best...
>
> That must be Tony Rossoni (and noone else among ESS-core, since
> he wrote 99% according to "svn"),
> or then people listed here
>
> ;; Copyright (C) 1995 by Thorsten.Ohl @ Physik.TH-Darmstadt.de
> ;;     with a little help from Norman Ramsey <norman at bellcore.com>
> ;;                         and Mark Lunt <mark.lunt at mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk>
> ;;                         and A.J. Rossini <rossini at biostat.washington.edu>
>
> though I doubt they still remember much details after 11 years,
> and if they do, the problem may relate to an emacs bug from back
> then which is no longer relevant today.
> I'd like to encourage you to add the extra
>    (noweb-indent-line)
> there; does seem harmless and provide desired functionality.

It was an Emacs bug -- noweb mode is a complete hack to try to keep
dual semantics using parsing in possible non-parseable buffers.

I have to admit zero time right now, but perhaps I can chat/hack with
Martin if he's going to Bern next Friday (Dec 8th) for the Swiss
academic stat colloquium to think about it.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).