[ESS] customizing ESS for start and quit: suppressing start and stop messages like "starting directory|save workspace image"

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Thu Nov 16 23:45:49 CET 2006

Hello,

working with ESS for a couple of years I would like variables like:

suppress-start-create

suppress-stop-save

to put into my ~/.emacs.

Or even better

ess-suppress-intro-exit

Why?

I have never wanted to create or save the session logs or history files
that R wants when creating or when closing a session. Obviously other
people do otherwise the questions would not make any sense.

Every time I open R with "emacs -f R" I would like to answer "yes" to
the first question:

starting directory?

Every time I exit R from emacs (`C-c C-q') I get asked if

 > Save workspace image? [y/n/c]:

I always answer "no".

Is there any easy way to customize this?

Sorry if this is mentioned in the ESS-info files. I've used grep through
the info files and didn't find anything appropriate. Maybe I have used
the wrong expressions for the search. I've also tried the same for the
archives. Furthermore I invoked `M-x customize-group' to see whats
there. The regexps I have used are all in the subject. Which is why the
subject line is a bit long (for future reference).

I am currently using

ESS version 5.3.3

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of
2006-10-18 on trurl

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need more info!

Thankful for any pointers

Patrick