[ESS] Font-locking "Warning messages" (bug?)

Kevin Wright kwright68 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 21:55:44 CEST 2006

My setup:
  ESS 5.3
  Emacs 22.0.50.1
  Windows 2000

I find that font-locking is properly done on these strings (at the
start of the line):

Error:
Warning:
Warning messages?    [ literally, with the question mark ]

but

Warning messages:

is not font-locked.

It appears to me that the relevant code is:

(defvar ess-R-message-prefixes
  '("Error:" "Error in"
    "Warning:" "Warning in"
    "Warning messages?"))

When I add "Warning messages" to this defvar and put it at the top of
my .emacs file, then the "Warning messages" string is properly
fontified.

It looks like this issue has been reported before:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-bugs/2006q1/000350.html
It is not clear (to me) from the emails if there was a patch submitted
and then forgotten, or no patch submitted, or ...  When I looked at
the subversion trunk just now, there appears to be no change to
ess-R-message-prefixes that will fix the problem.

Best,

Kevin Wright