[ESS] Can ESS support Chinese?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue May 9 17:41:14 CEST 2006

ronggui wrote:

> R 2.1.0 begin to suport internationalization.
>
> I think it is not a problem with R per se.
>
> I can run the same script in R if I call R directly.
>
> Is it related with the encoding things?
>
>> localeToCharset()
>
> [1] "CP936"
>
>> Sys.getlocale()
>
> [1] "LC_COLLATE=Chinese_People's Republic of
> China.936;LC_CTYPE=Chinese_People's Republic of
> China.936;LC_MONETARY=Chinese_People's Republic of
> China.936;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=Chinese_People's Republic of China.936"
>
> The JGR has the familiar problem,but if I set the locale as "En",JGR
> will work well .But the problem remains with ESS even I change the
> locale using Sys.setlocale(,"En").
>
> --
> 黄荣贵
> Deparment of Sociology
> Fudan University

Unfortunately, I have no way of testing this. I seem to remember that
somebody
had better results with xemacs and unicode, but I could be wrong. I'm
not sure
what mingw32 is, but I found the latest stable release (21.4.19),
native, Win32 binary @
ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/binary-kits/win32/InnoSetup/

However, I'm not sure that is the best choice for Unicode. You would
probably
be better off with the lastest beta mule release. I can't seem to find
that anywhere, but if you use
Cygwin, then a recent mule beta (21.5.23) is available at cygwin.com

If it works under xemacs, then it might be a problem with emacs.

Thanks,

Rodney