[ESS] RSiteSearch functionality in Emacs

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 2 18:30:53 CEST 2006

    Seth> Sebastian Luque <spluque at gmail.com> writes:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Without knowing how to tell R to use w3m from within
    >> Emacs, and after switching to Konqueror's window for the
    >> millionth time, I wrote the following function:

    Seth> Seems to work for me (version info below).  One
    Seth> improvement I would like: use all defaults without
    Seth> asking unless called with C-u prefix.

Good idea.

    Seth> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0) of
    Seth> 2006-02-14 on ziti

For me it doesn't quite work -- when using Emacs 21.3 :

The last "multi-input" doesn't really provide the proper
completion: I need to add the 4-th item ('Rhelp01' IIRC, in the
last choice.
Then, it seems to reveal a problem of (browse-url .) for my
setup:  That gives a popup window with title 'Close Firefox' and
text
   >> 	Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To
   >> 	open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox
   >> 	process, or restart your system
   >> 						[  Ok  ]

which is nonsense in some way, since
the usual RSiteSearch() can open a new firefox window alright.

Martin