[ESS] keybinding for (ess-eval-paragraph) and more

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 12:12:38 CET 2006

On 3/18/06, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

> What's not good about the *new* bindings?
> I agree that some of the existing bindings could seem a bit
> peculiar; but those probably should stay for historical reasons.
> I tried to fit the new bindings  ``seemlessly'' into the already
> existing ones.

My comment was more in line with the "old bindings".   With respect to
the new bindings, though, C-c C-c is generally mapped in my brain to
cancelation commands (I'm not sure from which package, now that I
think of it), rather than evaluation commands.

However, I really do think we should rationalize the bindings, at
least allowing for a 3rd level for evaluation, as I'd proposed eons
ago ('97, I believe -- hard to imagine that was nearly 10 years ago).

Something like (and these aren't valid, they conflict...)

C-c C-e <letter>  for ess-eval-*
C-c C-x <letter>  for ess-eval-*-and-step (or move forward)

rather than bird-nest-soup-bindings, which while historically
wonderful, aren't the selection I'd choose if writing from scratch.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).