[ESS] R: ess problems on xemacs 21.4.19 on AIX

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at hpi.mcw.edu
Sat Mar 4 18:02:27 CET 2006

    FabioC> I also tried to use the last tarballs
    FabioC> (xemacs-sumo-2005-12-08.tar.bz2 tarball and
    FabioC> xemacs-mule-2005-12-08.tar.bz2) of xemacs with such
    FabioC> trick but the problem related to error: Symbol's
    FabioC> value as variable is void:
    FabioC> inferior-ess-font-lock-keywords remains.

> which points to a problem of the latest versions of
> Xemacs with the latest version of ESS.
>
> Can anyone who works with these latest Xemacsen help us
> - confirm the problem or confirm that (s)he has no problems
>   there
> - start xemacs with "debug on error turned on" and send us
>   (ESS-core or ESS-help) the debug output
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

Well, this is not what is suggests to me, but I don't use S-plus.
So, I could be wrong, I'll check into this more on Monday.  But,
the main problem seems to be the places that xemacs users
are installing ESS.  There have been alot of recent examples of
this so I'm not picking on Fabio.  However, let's look at his
installation directory:
/opt/freeware/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess

This looks like an xemacs package install, but it is not.  An
xemacs package would place it's ESS lisp files in:
/opt/freeware/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess

In order to do that, you'd have to follow the ESS installation
intructions.  Or, if you know a shortcut, you can just unpack
the ESS release into:
/opt/freeware/lib/xemacs/site-packages/ess

I suppose the beauty of xemacs vs. emacs is that you can install
the sumo packages without knowing the details.  However, that
ease-of-use bites them when they try to install something else
since it requires some knowledge or reading the instructions.

Rodney