[ESS] ~ symbol

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 11:30:42 CEST 2006

 > My guess is that Giovanni wants to keep the assignment key as is, and
 > instead map a different non-used key to tilde.
Thanks Kasper, yes, that's a good point.

 > This is in principle easy to do, I used to do it when I was on a
 > danish keyboard writing latex where \, {, } are accessible but
 > requires quite some arm twisting to get. You can do it two ways. One
 > is a global remap where it works in all of Emacs and one is a mode
 > remap where it depends on the mode you are in.
 >
 > Here are (some) of my code for LaTeX. And there are as far as I know
 > several ways to do the code, this is just one of them
 >
 > (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
 > '(lambda nil
 >     (define-key LaTeX-mode-map [?\'] '(lambda () (interactive)
 > (insert "{")))
 > ))

yes, that kind of approach works (although I find when testing it is
better to use a named function, rather than an anonymous (lambda)
function).

 > The biggest problem is usually finding the "key-code" associated with
 > the key you are pressing. Especially if you start to play with
 > modifier keys. Most of the keys are straightforward, but in my
 > experience I always wanted to remap less-used keys which sometimes
 > made it a bit more challenging. There is a way to get Emacs to report
 > which symbol corresponds to which key-press but again I forgot how
 > (actually it may be a function I found somewhere on the internet, he
 > details are hazy).

Yes, there are a few ways to help you here.

Try pressing the key and then do "C-h l" and you will see what keys
you have typed lately.  Using the function

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/KeyBindingDiscussion has a good
set of examples that may be relevant. In particular, the function
'kbd' is useful for convert a key stroke into emacs internal
representation.

Here is an example that I use:

(defun my-ess-hook ()
  "Add my keybindings to ESS mode."
  (local-set-key (kbd "<f6>") 'ess-eval-line-and-step)
  (local-set-key (kbd "A-j") 'ess-eval-line-and-step)
  ;;(local-set-key (kbd "C-c C-a") 'ess-display-args-on-object)
  (local-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'ess-eval-line-and-step))

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook 'my-ess-hook)

Stephen