[ESS] Freezing upon pasting into XEmacs running R

Stephen Weigand Weigand.Stephen at mayo.edu
Wed Jun 14 22:46:53 CEST 2006

Dear List,

I seem to have found a solution to this issue:

> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:06:05 -0600 (CST)
> From: Stephen Weigand <Weigand.Stephen at mayo.edu>
> Subject: Re: [ESS] Freezing upon  pasting into XEmacs running R
> To: rsparapa at mcw.edu, ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> > Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 08:54:07 -0600
> > From: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>
>
> > >I'm running XEmacs 21.4 (patch 16), ESS version 5.2.7,
> > >and R 2.2.1 on SPARC Solaris 2.9.
> > >
> > >When I start an R session within XEmacs, and then
> > >paste a multi-line expression as simple as
> > >
> > >a <- function(x, y)
> > >  return(x + y)
> > >
> > >into the R session, the XEmacs screen freezes
> > >and doesn't evaluate the expression.
>
> [...]
>
> > Hi Stephen:
> >
> > The version of xemacs that you are using has been withdrawn.
> > The bugginess is somewhat similar to what you describe; see
> > http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/stable/README-21.4.16
> >
> > Does the problem also exist with the latest stable version
> > of xemacs? How about with the latest stable version of ESS?
> >
> > Rodney
>
> Thank you for this information! Looks like updating the
> installation is the obvious next step.
>
> Stephen

After updating to Xemacs 21.4.19 (but still using ESS 5.2.7)
the problem persisted

But by chance I lost my .Rprofile and I could once again
paste a multi-line expression into ESS running R.

It appears to me that the problem is due to setting the 'continue'
option as in

options(continue = "  ")

It doesn't seem to matter what 'continue' is set to (or
whether it is set in .Rprofile or manually), at least
on my installation. In a Google search I didn't find this
issue coming up before, but I may have missed it.

Thank you,

Stephen