[ESS] How to include ESS in site-start?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 10:15:52 CEST 2006

Hi Paul,

the large majority of your configuration is just that - changing the
defaults. (require 'ess-site) actually loads ESS, but it does so
unconditionally and upon startup, which consumes too much time.

We have nicely included it via autoload for some time now, and now
that a crucial bug will be fixed in the next ESS version, we won't
have any problems with it any more.

Thanks
David

On 12 Jun 2006, at 23:51, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Here are the site-start lines that we use in our lab for both Linux
> and Windows systems.
>
> ;; Set up emacs-ess for Emacs.
> ;;;
> ;;; This file is automatically loaded by emacs's site-start.el
> ;;; when you start a new emacs session.
>
> (require 'pc-select)
> (pc-selection-mode)
>
> (require 'ess-site)
> (setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)
> (setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)
>
> ;;create a new frame for each help instance
>
> (setq ess-help-own-frame t)
> ;;If you want all help
> ;; buffers to go into one frame do:
>
> (setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)
>

> On 5/12/06, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> yes I did file a bug report on this. With the way I've integrated ESS
>> into Aquamacs, everything works fine except when you load a remote
>> (R) file via tramp. I think I've pointed out the bug back then as
>> well (assumption of a local working dir at a certain point).
>>
>> Site-wide deployment (and that's the mechanism we use in Aquamacs) is
>> a standard in the Emacs world... It may not be used that often, but
>> it is fully supported in GNU Emacs.
>>
>> I can see if I can come up with a bug fix, but I guess I also have my
>> own bugs to worry about these days :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>>

> --