[ESS] r-mode name

Gregor Gorjanc gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Tue Jul 25 12:28:17 CEST 2006

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Gregor> Hello!  What string is used in ESS for "R-mode"? It
>     Gregor> is not "r-mode". I am trying to do some "r-mode"
>     Gregor> specific customization.
>
> Hmm,
> there's  inferior-ess-mode and  ess-mode
>
> But I think you should either learn emacs-lisp better,
> or then be more specific about what you want to customize.
> Otherwise this may be come a bit a frustrating experience for
> you.

I completely agree with you, unfortunatelly my wife does not ;) Since I
only need emacs-lisp for customizing the editor I did not find it worth
of the time to learn lisp.

I would like to set the folding characters for R code and the
corresponding lisp code for sh-mode is

(fold-add-to-marks-list 'sh-mode "# {{{" "# }}}" " ")

This is very very similar to R (I would just use ## or ###). Anyway, I
need to know the mode name that is used for R. When I launch C-h m
(describe modes) I only see EES[S], but I can not put that into above
lisp code. So there are two modes i.e. inferior-ess-mode and ess-mode.
Can you please point to the differences or relevant documentation on
this. I would like to know (without trial and error method ;)) which
mode should I use for above customization?

But if there are two modes, I presume one can not use specific
customization for say R/S and SAS buffers. Is my reasoning the right one?

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty
Zootechnical Department     URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Groblje 3                   mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si

SI-1230 Domzale             tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
Slovenia, Europe            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888