[ESS] Key bindings for some features {was 'Adjust R option width'}

Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 23 10:42:13 CET 2006

  > Dear Friedrich,

  >> But imagine every emacs package would use your approach/attitude: Are
  >> you seriously suggesting that each user should figure out his private
  >> bindings for each package he uses in order to efficiently use all the
  >> features? That's a nightmare come true.

  > No, I don't think we are suggesting that each user should provide
  > their own bindings.  We should provide bindings that are useful for
  > the ESS user, and try to fit in with their knowledge from other Emacs
  > editing modes.  Until this discussion, Martin's add on function had
  > only one binding.

Sure, I was exaggerating to get my point across ... but once a dam is
broken it's usually hard to get the water back in the basin.

  > In this particular case, I'd argue that ess-execute-screen-options
  > should be a low priority for getting a valuable C-c C-<something>
  > keybinding.  This is because I think short keybindings should be
  > reserved for defuns that are often run during an editing session.
  > I'm guessing this defun is not used often by the average user (but
  > am happy to be proved wrong!).

You are probably right ... I use it most often when teaching (set font
to something larger, tell window manager to adjust window size, adjust
width of R process) and I have shortcuts for all steps of the process.

  > However, I suggest that space in the menu bar is more available than
  > keybindings, and so perhaps it could be added to the menu bar?

Sure, then people at least know its there ...

  > Perhaps also people should share their favourite keybindings that are
  > not in ESS currently, to see if we should be adding others to ESS?  I
  > have one, but I think it should never get into ESS:

  >   (local-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'ess-eval-line-and-step)

  > Running over a set of lines of R code with repeated C-j is a breeze!

I have bindings for ess-eval-chunk, ess-insert-function-outline,
and one for inserting a "horizontal separation" line like

(which I have defined for all programming languages with correct
comment character and 2 lengths).

Best,
Fritz