[ESS] Updated instructions/init file for XEmacs and Windows

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jan 13 12:46:53 CET 2006

Dear David,

Please see my answers to your questions below:

That's where the current XEmacs installer installs XEmacs by default.

> The location of ess-site.el is hard-coded in your init.el. On
> unix, and with my previous installation of ESS I could use
> just (require 'ess-site) rather than (load whatever) Likewise
> with Auctex I just have (require 'tex-site). The require
> format seems preferable and means you don't have to update
> your init.el when installing a new version (plus you don't
> have to change your website document). Maybe a question for
> emacs gurus.

I agree that this is awkward, as is hard-coding the location of the ESS
icons. When ESS was an XEmacs package, I used require (for ess, not the
icons), but that's no longer the case. If there's a better solution, I'd be
happy to use it.

Regards,
 John