[ESS] New instructions/init file for Windows

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 12 19:24:30 CET 2006

Dear Paul,

Rather than editing your Wiki, I'll simply reply to your message:

My init.el file include the line

	(load "C:/XEmacs/ess-5.2.11/lisp/ess-site")

I suspsect that either you edited this file, or are not using the current
version of the file (11 January 2006), since you got the error

	Cannot open load file:
C:/XEmacs/Packages/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-site

which points to a different location.

Note as well that the current instructions at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/ESS/ess-xemacs.pdf>
ask you to update the xemacs-base package (see footnote 11 on page 11). I
understand from Rodney Sparapani that there may be a way around this that
would allow me to simplify the instructions further.

John

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University