[ESS] history button in ESS

Thu Jan 5 01:02:24 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> If I type Control-Up at the > prompt, the history of commands is
> shown.  Same as M-p, and more fun.
>
> I thought this thread would touch on the more difficult question that
> arises sometimes.  If send commands to the R session through ESS,
> those commands do not appear in the history when you type Control-Up.
> I think that's really bad. Bad.  Because it is very easy to lose track
> of what exactly has been done in an R session.

I thin it is good. Really good.

The idea is that if you submit say an entire function, you do not
want to use M-p to recall all the individual lines of the function.

You can always keep track of your Emacs session: just look in the
command window. If you want it to be easier to see what happens, use
the clean transcript commands which strips the buffer of everything
but the commands.

Kasper