[ESS] SAS mode font-lock-mode problem

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Feb 4 20:37:53 CET 2006

    tony> I believe that was conditioned for when XEmacs was the
    tony> only terminal font-locking emacs (which isn't true
    tony> anymore (at least 2+, maybe many more years?), now
    tony> that Emacs can do it as well).

I think "many more years".

Since I very often work from home via "emacs -nw", I've known
liked font-locking of my xterm / gnome-terminal for a long time.
It has worked with S / R ``always''.

I've checked and tested a new version of <ess>/lisp/essl-sas.el
where I've just dropped the "window-system" test,
and indeed, it did fontify *.sas files automagically.  Hence
this will be in ESS-5.2.12

(and is available from https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp/ )

Martin

    tony> On 2/4/06, Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk>
    tony> wrote:
    >> Dear Scott,
    >>
    >> > I have been using ESS off and on for several years,
    >> orignally with > Xemacs and more recently with GNU Emacs
    >> ... but always in X.
    >> >
    >> > Now, i am using Emacs via PuTTY from Windows :(
    >> >
    >> > When I open a SAS file, I get this this Lisp error: >
    >> wrong-type-argument symbolp ""
    >> >
    >> > If I try to open the file a second time, it opens, but
    >> font-locking > isn't enabled. Any idea how to handle
    >> this?
    >>
    >> Including the backtrace made debugging this fairly easy,
    >> thanks!  It looks like you have font lock turned on all
    >> in all buffers.  I can replicate your problem on an xterm
    >> in unix by "emacs -nw" and then visiting baseball.sas and
    >> trying M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer.
    >>
    >> The problem is that for non-windowed systems (such as
    >> your putty connection and emacs -nw), window-system is
    >> nil and so essl-sas.el has:
    >>
    >> (defvar SAS-mode-font-lock-keywords "") ;; empty if not
    >> window-system
    >>
    >> A temporary fix might be to change "" above to nil.  But
    >> this conditioning upon window-system might need closer
    >> inspection, since Emacs 21.3 can do font locking within
    >> an xterm.
    >>
    >> Rodney: does the value of SAS-mode-font-lock-keywords
    >> need to be conditioned upon window-system?
    >>
    >> Stephen

best,
    tony> -tony

    tony> blindglobe at gmail.com Muttenz, Switzerland.  "Commit
    tony> early,commit often, and commit in a repository from
    tony> which we can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR,
    tony> 4Jan05).