[ESS] Error in assign(".Last.value", .ess.lvsave

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Dec 1 18:53:30 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:18:09AM +0100, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Rainer> Ross Boylan wrote:
>     >> I've been getting this message sporadically when I run R
>     >> under ESS:
>     >>> Error in assign(".Last.value", .ess.lvsave, envir =
>     >>> baseenv()) :
>     >> cannot change value of locked binding for '.Last.value'
>     >>
>     >> I haven't noticed a pattern to when it appears; it is
>     >> erratic.  I've been seeing it for awhile now, perhaps
>     >> since upgrading to R 2.4.
>     >>
>     >> Can anyone illuminate what's going on?
>
> You haven't upgraded ESS.
> The new features for ESS 5.3.2,  see e.g., here
>
>     http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/readme.html#New-Features
>
> exactly mention to have addressed this problem.
> Current ESS is 5.3.3
Thank you.  My distro, Debian, is at 5.3.0 even in unstable.  I filed
a bug about it.

Does this problem affect any functionality, or is it just cosmetic?

> Since every new release of ESS is announced on this list, and
> the problem has been solved even in the second to last release,
> I could say you should blame someone ;-) ;-)

I don't know how I missed it :)  I did search the archives on the
error message, but not just on .Last.value, which would have done the
trick.

Ross