[ESS] Num keypad with Emacs and VNC

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Aug 29 15:52:59 CEST 2006

Patrick Connolly wrote:
> This is more a "pure" Emacs question, but I think someone on this list
> would know.
>
> I use VNC from a WinXP box to a Linux machine where I use ESS and R.
> Just about the only thing that doesn't work as easily as using a Linux
> desktop is the number keypad -- and that's only in Emacs.
>
> Googling around, I see a fairly complicated discussion to do with
> Gentoo but I get the impression that they were using VNC to run
> Windows applications from a Linux machine, so they were solving a
> somewhat different problem.
>
> Is this something that others have enountered (and preferably solved)?
>
> TIA

I've seen similar problems myself, but I don't use VNC with Windows
anymore.  Since we moved to XP, I could never get it to work at all.
Now, I occasionally use VNC from a Mac (Chicken of the VNC).  Back to
your question, I've seen similar discussions on the xemacs-beta list, so
you might want to check there.  Wild guess:  you can use xmodmap to map
the keypress to the appropriate action.

Rodney