[ESS] ID utils and R

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Aug 23 18:54:07 CEST 2006

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
> the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.
>
> A silly, simple use of IDUtils with R code does work, using a language
> map that says *.R are  text files. But I am wondering if someone has
> done something more sophisticated. (For instance, I get matches to
> commented out functions, which I'd rather not, lots of extra stuff is
> indexed which probably shouldn't, etc).
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.
>
> P.D.  ID utils is somewhat like [ce]tags, and has support under Emacs
> (see section 5.2 of the ID utils manual:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/idutils.html#Emacs-gid-interface
> ). One nice feature is that, when searching for matches, it shows the
> results in a compilation buffer, so you can see where, in each file,
> the identifier is used, and visit that if you want. I like this a lot
> better than "tags-search".

Hi Ramon:

That's a very interesting suggestion.  To take this further, somebody
needs to volunteer to write an R scanner.  Details on what's necessary
are available @
http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/html_node/Defining-scanners.html#Defining-scanners

And, for those of you involved in large statistical software projects,
this package deserves a look.  Currently supported languages are
C/C++/Java, Assembly, Perl and Lisp (hint, hint, ESS brethren).
Personally, I'd also like to see a SAS scanner.  When I get some free
time (ha, ha), I'll have to take a closer look at this.

Thanks,

Rodney