[ESS] Getting history access from within an R session run by iESS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 22 14:45:37 CEST 2005

    Michael> A.J. Rossini wrote:
    >> Since this is Emacs and R, yes there is.  BUT, it's going to take
    >> someone adding this to the API.  Not going to be simple or short to
    >> implement.

    Michael> Well, I've noticed it works fine when I'm using
    Michael> shell and ess-remote.  Although that is unappealing
    Michael> for other reasons. I guess if I want the best of
    Michael> both of those worlds I would have to learn some
    Michael> more Elisp and do it myself.

I'd rather strongly recommend to follow the route that Rich
Heiberger has proposed.
In my opinion the "history" handling does not belong to the R
language in some sense, and I would not want any code /
functionality that depends on it.
Potentially, there are versions of R installed without
readline support and hence without any "built in" history
support {of course, ESS would still work perfectly}.
We (R core) would still consider such R installations to be
perfectly valid.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich