[ESS] Running Multiple Splus versions on a Unix machine.

gerald.jean at dgag.ca gerald.jean at dgag.ca
Tue Sep 20 16:15:12 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am running ESS-5.2.10 from Emacs 21.1.1 on Solaris.  Through it I am
mostly running a 64-bit version of S+6.2 but I also have S+7.0.3 installed
on the machine and would like to be able to run it through ESS, so far no
luck though!  I also have both versions of S+ on my PC (32-bit of course
for 6.2) as well and it was pretty easy to set ESS to run both, having the
variable "ess-SHOME-versions" set properly two functions were created on
start up, "splus62" and "splus70" and each one runs the appropriate version
of S+.

Setting "ess-SHOME-versions" on Unix' Emacs didn't help.  I tried to set it
in two ways:

1) (custom-set-variables '(ess-SHOME-versions
 '("/actuaria/splus_app64"
   "/actuaria/splus7_app")))

2) (setq ess-SHOME-versions '
("/actuaria/splus_app64""/actuaria/splus7_app"))

before (require 'ess-site) in both cases.  The variable gets actually set
but if I go in Ess ---> Start Process ---> Other, I have: "No other R or
Sqpe versions".

In the info node "Inferior ESS processes" I see instructions for "R on Unix
systems", "R on Windows systems" and "Sqpe on Windows systems" no
instructions for "Sqpe on Unix systems"?

A while ago when I was running a beta version of S+7 Rich Heiberger
suggested to comment out in my .emacs:

             (setq-default inferior-S+6-program-name
                             "/actuaria/splus_app64/bin/Splus64")

and replace it by:

             (setq-default inferior-S+6-program-name
                              "/actuaria/splus7_app/bin/Splus7")

it works but it is pretty cumbersome to have to go in the .emacs file each
time one wants to run a different version, furthermore it doesn't allow to
run them simultaneously.

Any clues as how this can be done?

Thanks,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean at dgag.ca

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming