[ESS] Toolbar Images Blank

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 7 18:33:39 CEST 2005

 > Hi Stephen,
 >
 > the value is: /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/ess/icons
 >
 > but no icons folder exists.

Ah, strange.  I'm not sure where the xemacs package puts things, so
can't say whether that's the proper place... but...

 > The contents of /usr/share/.../ess is
 >
 > backbug5      ess-s4.S            rfunction.xpm  sas-keys.rtf
 > switchs.xpm
 > BACKBUG5.BAT  ess-sas-sh-command  rline.xpm      spluslogo.xpm
 > backbugs      ess-sp3.S           rregion.xpm    startr.xpm
 > BACKBUGS.BAT  function-outline.S  sas-keys.doc   switch_ess.xpm
 > config.guess  rbuffer.xpm         sas-keys.ps    switchr.xp

you have them in this directory above, all the .xpm files are what it
is looking for:

 > If I run
 >
 > >slocate ess/icons
 >
 > I get nothing.
 >
 > Additional info: system(s) are running FC3 and FC4 both using xemacs
 > installed as rpms from the basic FC release.

Ah; do other ESS users on the list find this problem too?

 > I suspect that I should be able to just do a manual install of the icons.
 > Is that correct? If so any ideas as to where to get the icons from easily?

Try the following; in your .emacs file:

(setq ess-icon-directory "/usr/share/.../ess")
(require 'ess-site)

i.e. set the variable first before loading ESS.  (and use the path
that you abbreviated above).

Good luck!

Stephen