[ESS] notebook style as an alternative of Sweave?

Na Li nali at umn.edu
Mon Oct 31 19:33:46 CET 2005

On 30 Oct 2005, Stephen Eglen wrote:

> Na Li writes:
> >
> > When I use Mathematica or Maple, I like the idea of the 'notebook'.  There
> > is an emacs mode to emulate that: http://sourceforge.net/projects/notebook
> >
> > I wonder how difficult it would be to implement it for R.  (Not sure about
> > how to handle graphics though).
>
> The idea is an interesting one.  Graphics indeed might be a problem,
> but the readme clasims it should not be very hard to extend it to
> other programs.  Have you tested the notebook code?  That might help
> us first to see how well it works on supported languages like Matlab,
> Octave, MuPad.
>
> One slight concern is that it seems the last release was Feb 2003.

I tried it a couple years ago.  It was a bit flimsy (but works) back then.
Now when I tried to use it with octave.  It stopped working altogether.

There is also a yacas-notebook mode that comes with Yacas (an open-source
computer algebra).  But it also doesn't work as promised.

It seems that both suffer fontification syndrome.  (I am using a CVS build of
Emacs).

Michael