[ESS] notebook style as an alternative of Sweave?

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sun Oct 30 10:10:37 CET 2005

Na Li writes:

 > When I use Mathematica or Maple, I like the idea of the 'notebook'.  There is
 > an emacs mode to emulate that: http://sourceforge.net/projects/notebook
 >
 > I wonder how difficult it would be to implement it for R.  (Not sure about
 > how to handle graphics though).

The idea is an interesting one.  Graphics indeed might be a problem,
but the readme clasims it should not be very hard to extend it to
other programs.  Have you tested the notebook code?  That might help
us first to see how well it works on supported languages like Matlab,
Octave, MuPad.

One slight concern is that it seems the last release was Feb 2003.

Graphics would indeed be a problem, but rather than having them within
the doc, they might have to be external.  Or, you could take a look at
what things like auctex and imaxima do - by planting graphics inline
to an emacs buffer of text.  I especially like imaxima in this regard,
for an interface to maxima:
http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/imaxima/

hmm, there used to be a screenshot there!

Stephen