[ESS] *R* buffers: keeping cursor at the end

Brahm, David David.Brahm at geodecapital.com
Tue Oct 11 23:38:26 CEST 2005

David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
> every time I execute something  via C-c C-j I have to go over to the
> *R* buffer and scroll to the very end to see it - because it doesn't
> scroll automatically...
> Does anyone know how I can get the window with the *R* buffer to
> scroll to the end?

This beautiful snippet of .emacs code is due to Martin Maechler:

; From Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>:
(eval-after-load "comint" '(progn
  (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output 'others)   ; not current, dflt
is nil
  ; (setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t)          ; I find this
too jumpy
  (define-key comint-mode-map [up]
'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
  (define-key comint-mode-map [down]
'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)
  (define-key comint-mode-map "\C-a" 'comint-bol-or-process-mark) )
)

I think the first indented line does what you want.  I've commented out
the
second indented line (I don't like the jumpy effect), but you could try
it.
The remaining 3 lines do other cool stuff.

-- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)