[ESS] Getting SAS to start

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Thu Oct 6 06:06:38 CEST 2005

Strictly speaking this is not an ESS question anymore, but it arises as
a consequence of my attempt to implement Martin's suggestion

> Ok. Let's assume that's what Cameron meant.
> Now for that to work without alteration, the proper
> 'sas' (if you have several versions) must be in the user's PATH.
>
> And in principle that's always pretty easily achievable:
> Cameron:  Couldn't you e.g., provide your own mini shell script
> 'sas', e.g. in ~/bin/  and make sure that ~/bin/ comes in your
> PATH before the other (old version) 'sas' ?

This should be easy, but for some reason I can't make it work. I am
using tcsh. So I edited .tcshrc to include the following line:

setenv PATH "~/bin:${PATH}"

This seems to have worked:

$ echo $PATH

/home/usr07/chooper/bin:/usr/local/GAUSS:/opt/java/bin:/usr/kerberos/
bin:/usr/src/LSF/bin:/usr/src/LSF/etc:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/
usr/X11R6/bin

I created a simple script in /home/usr07/chooper/bin called "sas"
containing the single line:

/usr/local/SAS/SAS_9.1/sas

And set the file to executable.

So ~/bin is at the head of my path and sas should invoke my new script,
not the one in /usr/local/SAS, right?

But typing sas still causes the system level script to run not my ~/bin
script.

I don't understand this behaviour. Can anyone tell me what I am doing
wrong?

Cameron