[ESS] Running sas remotely

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Thu Oct 6 04:36:16 CEST 2005

Hi

> Open up a telnet or equivalent window on the remote machine and run
> a remote emacs in that window.   Then work as you have been working.

I did not express myself clearly. At the moment I do exactly as you
suggest, I think. Open up a terminal window, ssh to the remote machine
and then run emacs. This is works fine. But ...

It would be nice to work inside a windowing (GUI) version of emacs. I
can achieve this by using X-Windows, but to be honest I don't like this
option. X-windows can be slow, and the available fonts are, IMHO,
difficult to read. But I have a lovely version of emacs that runs on my
Mac. I can use this emacs on my local machine to open a SAS file stored
on the remote machine via TRAMP. The question is, can I then actually
submit regions of this SAS file to the SAS engine on the remote
machine. In other words, I want to run emacs locally and submit SAS
code remotely.

Cameron