[ESS] Stata and ado-mode

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 4 20:08:40 CET 2005

    Brendan> I am one of the few ESS+Stata users, and I am not happy with the
    Brendan> Stata do-file mode (STA-mode). Some of the syntax highlighting is
    Brendan> partial, and there are odd problems with indentation. Bill Rising's
    Brendan> current ado-mode is better, so I want to use that in conjunction
    Brendan> with ESS.

    Brendan> Is there an easy way of doing this?

I don't know an d I don't have Stata to try.

Ideally I think Bill's improvements should be "ported" to ESS,
But we'd probably need a bit more confirmation from users about
the need / desire for this --- and we (ESS-core) might need at least
one ESS+Stata user who is somewhat at ease with Emacs-lisp and
is willing to try out things
{since AFAIK we have no Stata available inside ESS-core, right?}

Martin