[ESS] problems with emacclient

Fri Nov 4 00:02:33 CET 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

>>> (add-hook
>>>   'inferior-ess-mode-hook
>>>   '(lambda()
>>>     (if (xemacs-p) (gnuserv-start)
>>> 	(server-start nil))))
>>

> Ok, but now I get symbol's function definition is void (xemacs-p do
> exists as a variable, at least C-h v describes the current value
> (=nil))
>
> I guess I should learn some elisp.
>
> Kasper
>
> Hi Kasper:
>
> Maybe I should!  Try:
>
>  (add-hook
>    'inferior-ess-mode-hook
>    '(lambda()
>      (if xemacs-p (gnuserv-start)
>  	(server-start nil))))
>
> Rodney

Ok, that works. Or kind of, but my next problem is probably with the
server-start command. When I do M-x R and do something like
R> test <- function() { print(1) }
R> fix(test)
, R says
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
	problem with running editor emacsclient

This also happens when I do M-x server-start

In the *Messages* buffer I see
so I would guess that the server is being loaded correctly.

As I said earlier I am using Carbon Emacs v22.0.50, Ess 5.2.10 and
the binary version of R for MacOS from CRAN.

Any ideas?

Kasper