[ESS] comint-delete-output including prompt

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 25 18:02:12 CEST 2005

    RMH> You didn't specify,
actually, yes, he did mention working in the iESS buffer, i.e.,
not transcript- but ``normal'' inferior-mode.

And I think I know exactly what you mean, Sebastian:

Namely, in fact you are asking for a new feature:
normally, in a *iESS* buffer, C-c C-o
nicely cleans away a longish output,
replacing it by the single line
*** output flushed ***
still leaving the prompt and the command {i.e. function call !}
in place.
And the "problem" I think Sebastian is having,
is that C-c C-o only applies to the very last command and its
output. If you enter another command ``by accident'' and only
than want to delete the very long output from the 2nd-to-last
command, you can't do this very easily anymore, at least not
with C-c C-o.

Sebastian: The following is not a solution, but a workaround.

Type  C-c C-p  C-[space]  C-c C-p   C-w

where (1) : go to previous function call
      (2) : set mark {for (4)}
      (4) : delete everthing between the last and the 2nd-to-last command,
	    i.e., the 2nd-to-last output  -- as desired -- but
	    also the 2nd-to-last "command"+ prompt -- not desired.

Regards,
Martin Maechler