[ESS] Re: Filename completion becomes object completion

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 10 12:38:08 CEST 2005

   Paul Johnson:
    >> I can confirm that this patch does work!  ESS is much
    >> more pleasant to use now!

    >> For anybody's convenience, I put a copy of a patch here
    >>
    >> http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/tabCompletion.patch

    StEgl> Thanks for making the patch available
yes.
But please also note that in general you can always get the
latest version of ESS ``off the web'';
in the current case, it is
   https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp/ess-inf.el

so there's no need for patching AFAICS
(but rather replacing your ess-inf.el by the new one)

    StEgl>  -- just to let you all know -- this will be in 5.2.8, so you
    StEgl> shouldn't need to patch that version once released.
indeed!

One question is if other ESS-help readers also find this patch
important, i.e., important enough to release 5.2.8 ``ASAP'' ?

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich