[ESS] ess-developers/users using sweave/auctex

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 12:38:12 CEST 2005

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:54:57AM +0200, Patrick Drechsler wrote:

> just curious: are there people using the combo ESS/Sweave with
> AUCTeX effectively and/or on a more day to day basis?

Yes, all the time, although I have not directly integrated Sweave
with AUCTeX. With RefTeX as well.  ESS+Sweave+AUCTeX+RefTeX is such
a lovely way to work.  I posted some simple functions to help with
using Sweave and I now use them all the time (or rather
modifications of them):

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2004-September/002108.html

I should warn you that I am only an occasional elisper and probably
know just about enough to do some damage, but they seem to work for
me.

The modifications I have since that post made are mostly to do with
how I set things up these days with sub-directories for different
parts of my Sweave documents or the files they produce (instead of
having everything in one directory). The other new thing I have
added is a simple function to insert \Sexpr{} at point.

(defun ess-insert-Sexpr ()
  "Insert Sexpr{} into the buffer at point."
  (interactive)
  (insert "\\Sexpr{}")
  (backward-char)
)

(define-key noweb-minor-mode-map "\M-nx" 'ess-insert-Sexpr)

> Or do most the readers here use Makefiles/R-scripts to produce
> plots directly from R?

Makefiles occasionally. I never seem to create R scripts anymore. As
soon as I start to add comments it usually seems to make sense to
make it a Sweave document.

--
David Whiting