[ESS] filename completion problem
maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 23 18:03:05 CET 2005
I try to summarize what I've learned till now:
Giovanni did and said the following:
- uses R 2.0.1 and Emacs 21.3.1 under Debian Sarge.
- tried both the packaged version of ESS (ess-5.2.5-1 "debian")
and the tar.gz (5.2.6) manually configured as indicated in the README.
- ``When I press tab to complete a filename the
answer is "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" ''
- `` ESC TAB gives the same problem.
C-c TAB apparently has no effect. ''
- `` if I press "Complete File Name" in the Complete menu, it
works fine! ''
- - - -
But you didn't tell us *when* this happens:
Are you inside a *R* buffer, or are you editing a *.R file
(as you should be doing 95% of the time ;-)
Also, I found myself that it's pretty hard *not* to use a
debian-installed ESS version -- it's directory is added to the
emacs load path ``long before'' a user ~/.emacs or any user "M-x
..." command comes into play.
Did you uninstall the debian ess package before using the
*.tar.gz one? If you didn't, I'm pretty sure you were still
using the debian one even though you explicitly loaded another
M-x locate-library ess
to find out from where emacs is getting the ESS parts.
More information about the ESS-help