[ESS] Fwd: Getting SAS to work

rodney sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Sat Jul 30 16:13:31 CEST 2005

>> Thanks for your reply Rich
>>
>> It would not surprise me if I am confusing things. Let me try to give
>> as clear a picture as possible of what I am doing.
>>
>> I have not touched any function keys. I have not edited any of the
>> files that came with the ESS distribution. I had a look at ess-
>> site.el
>> and decided to leave well alone.
>>
>> I opened a sas file in emacs, and typed M-x SAS. After a moment the
>> following message appeared in the minibuffer:
>>
>> ESS [SAS(SAS):
>> /home/usr13/chooper/emacs/ess-5.2.8/etc/ess-sas-sh-command] starting
>> data directory? ~/
>>
>> I hit return and the following 4 buffers appeared
>>
>> 1. test.sas (ESS[SAS] [none])
>> 2. *SAS (iESS [SAS]: run)
>> 3. *SAS.log* (Shell [] ESStr)
>> 4. *SAS.lst* (Shell [] ESSlst)
>>
>> Buffer 1 contains my SAS code.
>>
>> Buffer 2 contains
>> + set +x
>> sas </dev/tty 1>/dev/pts/7 2>/dev/pts/23 -stdio -linesize 80 -noovp
>> -nosyntaxcheck
>>
>> Buffer 3 contains
>> NOTE: AUTOEXEC processing completed.
>>
>> Buffer 4 contains
>> $ tty
>> /dev/pts/7
>> $
>>
>> The cursor is in Buffer 2 which I believe is the communications
>> buffer, which I should never use directly. So I assume the fact that
>> the cursor goes to this window by default is not the correct
>> behaviour.
>>
>> I move to Buffer 1, select my sas code and type C-c C-r.
>>
>> The buffer containing my sas code (buffer 1) disappears and is
>> replaced by a new buffer titled (Shell:run) containing the
>> information
>> I gave previously, repeated here:
>>
>> cd "/home/usr13/chooper/"
>> nohup nice +6 sas ess-temp -rsasuser &
>> [northrup][~]> [northrup][~]> [1] 18945
>> [northrup][~]>
>>
>> C-x C-b reveals the test.sas buffers still exists, it is just hidden.
>>
>> I appreciate any help anyone can offer. Please be patient as I am not
>> an expert.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Cameron

Hi Cameron:

I don't have a SAS installation handy, but this could be a bug.  In
the lisp
file essd-sas.el, there is the following line in the function SAS-mode:
(define-key sas-mode-local-map "\C-c\C-r" 'ess-sas-submit-region)

Comment it out with a semi-colon as follows:
;(define-key sas-mode-local-map "\C-c\C-r" 'ess-sas-submit-region)

Start another instance of emacs and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Rodney