[ESS] Use of up arrow and down arrow keys

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 11:35:52 CEST 2005

John Maindonald writes:
 > [I forgot to say that I am using ess-5.2.8]
 >
 > I've just now moved to using Aquaemacs (Mac OS X), from
 >
 > http://aquamacs.org/
 >
 > I've had code in my .emacs file that binds the up arrow key
 > to <ESC>P, etc.  This does not work with Aquaemacs; I get
 > the message:
 >    "Symbol's value as variable is void: xemacs-flag"
 > Is there some way to make the up and down arrow (cursor)
 > keys work, with my setup?

Should be possible, but there's a bug somewhere that we'll need your
help tracking down.  Do as the info pages for ESS suggest:

----
   If Emacs reports an error, backtraces can help us debug the problem.
Type "M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET".  Then run the
command that causes the error and you should see a *Backtrace* buffer
containing debug information; send us that buffer.
----

Also, does the text "xemacs-flag" occur in your .emacs?

Stephen