[ESS] RE: [R] Ess packages for Suse-9.2 available ?

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jan 13 20:27:42 CET 2005

I do not know anything about RPM construction, but on Suse 9.1 (the
next-to-newest version), emacs resides in
  /usr/share/emacs
with the site-lisp directory being
 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
There is an additional site-lisp directory,
 /usr/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp
but it hardly contains any files (only a term directory with few files,
from the names it seems to have something to do with xterms).

I guess this ought to be enough to decide whether the RPMs work under
Suse?

Kasper

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:11:50PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Yes, I still have been making RPMS and I post them in
> http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software.
>
> The one I'm using in Fedora Core 3 seems completely fine:
>
> http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/software/favoriteEmacsFiles/emacs-ess-5.2.3-4.PJ.noarch.rpm
>
> I do not know if they are directly installable in SUSE because SUSE
> changes directory locations in some programs. But it should be very easy
> for a SUSE user who knows how to build RPMS to take my SRPM file, fiddle
> the SPEC to make the directories correct, and then rebuild.
>
> I am committed to keep providing these rpms because I've prevailed on
> several students to learn to use Linux and Emacs and R, and can't
> abandon them. Yet.
>
> pj
>
> Liaw, Andy wrote:
> >[Re-directing to ESS-help]
> >
> >I seem to recall that Paul Johnson made an RPM for RedHat (or was it
> >Fedora?)...  Don't know how compatible that is on SUSE.  (I just install
> >from source, which is as easy as Tony stated.)
> >
> >Andy
> >

> >>From: A.J. Rossini
> >>
> >>Does SuSE have anything like Debian's "alien" for importing
> >>foreign packages?
> >>
> >>If so, then you might use the Debian packages.
> >>
> >>Otherwise, it isn't too hard to unpack in your home directory, and add
> >>the appropriate  " (load-file ...)" statement to your .emacs /
> >>.xemacs/init.el
> >>
> >>best,
> >>-tony

> >>there seem to

> >>like that Suse

> >>been lucky

> >>of building an

> >>http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> >>

> >>--
> >>best,
> >>
> >>-tony
> >>
> >>"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from
> >>which we can easily
> >>roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).
> >>
> >>A.J. Rossini
> >>blindglobe at gmail.com

> --
> Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
> Dept. of Political Science            http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504
> University of Kansas                  Office: (785) 864-9086
> Lawrence, Kansas 66044-3177           FAX: (785) 864-5700

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen