[ESS] [R] ESS and Emacs

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Dec 31 19:00:35 CET 2005

Dear Martin,

OK, I'll do that, but there seem to me to be two obstacles: (1) As I
understand it, I'll have to wait for version 21.4.19 of Xemacs. (2) Many of
the people at which the document is aimed -- relatively inexperienced
Windows users -- will have trouble dealing with the ESS tarball; it would be
much easier if they could simply get ess as an XEmacs package.

A couple of other comments: When I wrote the original version of this
document (three or four years ago), I found XEmacs easier to use on Windows
than GNU Emacs, but that might no longer be true. As well, I no longer use
Emacs in my own work, so I'm not an ideal person to maintain the
instructions. I'm willing to do so, however, unless someone else wants to
take over.

Regards,
 John