[ESS] starting R with options

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Dec 16 21:38:32 CET 2005

Hi,

As per the ESS documentation, section 6.2:

=====
Note that R has some extremely useful command line arguments. For example,
--vanilla will ensure R starts up without loading in any init files. To enter
a command line argument, call R using a "prefix argument", by

C-u M-x R

and when ESS prompts for "Starting Args ? ", enter (for example):

--vanilla

Then that R process will be started up using R --vanilla. If you wish to
always call R with certain arguments, set the variable inferior-R-args
accordingly.
=====

This is fairly common usage in Emacs, by the way.

HTH