[ESS] Saving R files

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 31 11:59:34 CEST 2005

    GB> I have used ESS just for editing R source code for a long time, with
    GB> great pleasure. I install and upgrade ess via apt-get on my debian system.
    GB> After the latest upgrades I can suddenly not save buffers the usual way
    GB> by C-x C-s. Nothing happens, simply. If I try to quit, C-x C-c, I get the
    GB> question if I want to save....; I answer yes and get the reply "Modified
    GB> buffers...." It ends with me quitting, without being able to save the file.
    GB> I rename it so I can edit in non-ess mode, which is boring, but works.

I know that there are quite a few users who get ess as  Debian
(or Ubuntu) package.  I've done so myself (but usually rather
want to use the "developers" version) without any problem.

    GB> Can someone tell me what is going on?

not yet..  Are you sure it's related to ESS at all?

Do you have the same problems when starting emacs as
   "emacs -q"
Finally, what does
   C-h v ess-version
say?